Monday, July 30, 2012

Indigo Rose Tomatoes are Ripe and... Whoa!  What happened to the beets!!???               

The Indigo Rose Tomatoes are ripe!  As you can see, they are definitely blue on the areas that are fully exposed to the sun.  The areas underneath the tomato... that would be shaded, develop the normal red color.  I realize they look very much like plums, but you can notice the tomato stem.




 I took them in and sliced them to have a look.  Red inside! So, how do they taste?  They taste like tomato!  They have a definite tomato flavor.  I ate them up.  And those blue pigments (anthocyanins)... great antioxidants... Wow!



Also, the Sweet Million cherry tomatoes are getting ripe.  We picked a few of them.  They did not make it back to the house!  So yummy!!!  Sweet Million is a very sweet cherry tomato. My favorite.


And what happened to the beets????  I walked out to the garden and looked around... where are the beets?  I think a deer ate them!  They ate some of the small emerging bean plants while they were at it!  



Wildlife eating gardens is always a possibility! That is enough for today. 

2 comments: