Saturday, January 23, 2016

The December Garden - December 6, 2015

A Warm Sunny Day - Let's Open the Tunnel!

All these pictures were taken on December 6, 2015.  

The coldest day (so far) this winter was November 28, 2015.  It was 11 degrees Fahrenheit.  The longest cold spell was from November 26 to December 3, constituting 8 consecutive days with below freezing temperatures.  

After some below freezing temperatures and gloomy days, the sun came out and I thought I should open the  tunnel and give it a chance to "breathe".  I don't know if it needed to be aired out.  Mostly, I just wanted to see how the plants were doing.  


First, I lifted off the pavers along one side of the beds.  You can see them along the left side of the bed in the above picture.  Then I carefully eased and slid the Gro-Guard row cover down the other side.  That is it, laying along the right side (in this picture) of the bed.  The frost blanket is still on top of the bed, covering the kale, chard, beets, carrots, peas and lettuce that I planted 


I held my breath as I pulled the frost blanket back.  I had no idea if any of the tender plants would have survived that heavy frost.


Wow!  Not only did they survive the below freezing weather, they had actually grown!

Chard, kale and lettuce look great!

Carrots and peas are growing well!



The broccoli had produced several large heads  Yummy!

Well, I consider the Gro-Guard agricultural row cover a success!  I hope that it continues to be successful for the rest of the winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment