Sunday, January 24, 2016

The January Garden - January 17, 2016

Harvest on January 17, 2016


We had heavy fog in the morning, which burned off when the sun came out for about 4 hours.  Then rain clouds came in and we were overcast with showers.  High of 46 degrees.  I decided to look in the tunnel.



January 17, 2016.  Yes, all of this came from my garden in the low tunnel.



Let's back up.  Here's the tunnel before I opened it.  

Every edge of the tunnel is held down by brick pavers, and the baling twine is criss-crossed over the top to hold the fabric in place during breezy conditions.  Small white stones in the foreground bed are marking the spot where I planted garlic in November.



I removed the bricks from one side of the tunnel and slid the Gro-Guard fabric up.  

The fabric is held up with some large clamps that I bought from the local dollar store.    You can see the lightweight frost blanket over the second and third bed, which is covering the peas and carrots, lettuce, kale, chard and beets.  Also notice the broccoli plants in the lower left corner of the picture.  They look a little wilted. 

I do not know if the broccoli is really frosted dead or if it will rebound.  The soil is very, very dry, so I will give it some water and check again in a few days  

Meanwhile, I will definitely pick these broccoli florets!

I pulled back the frost blanket and here's what it looked like underneath!

Peas and carrots are doing well.

Let's pull a carrot!  It's kind of small.  About 2 inches.  



Oh Wow!  The lettuce looks great, and ready take a harvest!


Kale is looking good, and ready to take a few leaves for a harvest.
More kale and also chard.

Small beet seedlings. C'mon little beet seedlings... get growing!

 I am really excited about how well the garden is growing under this agricultural row cover. 



No comments:

Post a Comment